Use the questions each week to reflect on the message or talk about it with some friends or family.
- Describe a time when you failed to measure up to expectations placed on you.
- Read 2 Kings 9:1-10. Elijah and Elisha’s purpose was to call out the sins of evil King Ahab and the false prophets in Israel. Who does God use Elisha to appoint as the next king? What will this king’s purpose be?
- Read 2 Kings 10:28-31. What does Jehu do that is good? What does he do or not do that is bad? According to God’s standard, does King Jehu fulfill his purpose?
- So many times we long for someone to come and make things right. We see in 1 and 2 Kings that even when a new king comes, he still fails. How does this narrative show us why we need Jesus? How is Jesus different than all the kings of Israel who came before him?
Check out the sermon here.
- Why are you here? What is God’s purpose for your life?
- Read 1 Kings 19:1-10. Why is Elijah upset? When have there been times when you were trying to follow God, and things didn’t go as planned?
- Read 1 Kings 19:11-21. How does God comes to Elijah? Thinking that this happens on the same mountain where God miraculously came in the burning bush to Moese and also came in the cloud to give him the 10 commandments, what is surprising about this?
- How has God come in the still small voice for you?
Think about rivals(sports teams, etc). What is the biggest showdown you’ve seen between two rivals?
Read 1 Kings 18:1-19. What were king Ahab and Jezebel doing in response to the drought and famine? What was their focus on? How do we focus on similar things in tough times?
Read 1 Kings 18:20-46. Describe the rituals that the prophets of Baal go through vs. the prophet Elijah? What is the difference?
How do we see the power of the true God in this narrative?
- What comes to your mind when you think of Elijah?
- Read 1 Kings 16:29-34. What does King Ahab to do that causes him to do “more evil in the sight of the Lord than any before him?
- What are some things we do today that are similar to King Ahab?
- Read 1 Kings 17:1-7. Who is Elijah? Where does his come from? What does he do?
- Where do you see the true God at work in Elijah’s life? How is God similarly at work in your life?